christ church north adelaide: memorial hall
north adelaide, south australia
Following the successful completion of a Conservation Management Plan for the state heritage listed Church at Christ Church North Adelaide, Flightpath were engaged for full architectural services to scope, document and oversee high-level conservation and re-roofing works to the local heritage listed Memorial Hall at Christ Church.
The foundation stone to the brick and asbestos roofed Memorial Hall was officially opened on 26 April 1953 by the Archdeacon of Adelaide, Ven. T. T. Reed, with the building employing a sympathetic design style to the c1850s Church and Rectory buildings which also occupy the site.
One of the main aspects of the current project was to replace the current leaking asbestos lined roof with new heritage galvanised steel of matching corrugations and compatible rainwater goods. Other conservation works included:
- re-set/ replace lead flashings;
- clean, repair/ re-run cementitious parging to parapet copings;
- upgrade roof framing to meet current NCC/ BCA structural requirements, and;
- undertake maintenance to the ridge-mounted fleche.
The project reached practical completion in June 2017 and undertaken with the assistance of the City of Adelaide’s Heritage Incentives Scheme.