port noarlunga south australia
this community owned State Heritage Place, was adapted to become a contemporary arts space including studios, exhibition galleries and events facility
Built in 1897 by Charles Sauerbier, a sheep grazier, Sauerbier House and outbuildings had become a community owned State Heritage Place. The City of Onkaparinga identified its conservation as a catalyst project. Council allocated funds for the project following a Conservation Plan and estimates for adaptive reuse. Sauerbier Art House is now a community house with its focus on heritage and cultural awareness, the arts and outdoor exhibition. The program includes artist-in-residence studios, exhibition galleries and an events facility.
The adaptation is based upon an understanding of Heritage Value. Non-original layers were identified and removed, original elements revealed, the garden layout interpreted, and verandah repaired. A new, visually separate amenities area, decking, ramp, seating and equitable axial entrance, were added to the West.
Sauerbier Art House adaptation returns to visual prominence as a contemporary arts space. The redevelopment has demonstrated economic and community benefits through conservation and adaptive reuse and the enhancement of a hidden heritage listed community treasure.
The project has reinforced the reputation of the City of Onkaparinga as a leader in the arts, and Port Noarlunga as the artistic hub for the Fleurieu Peninsula.