west terrace cemetery
The Concept Design for the Burial Area and Refurbishment of the Curators Cottage is currently awaiting Planning Approval.
On completion, the project will deliver:
- A premium Burial Internment Area; and,
- Replacement, Refurbishment and Upgrade to Staff and Public amenities within the Curators Cottage;
- New café/function space within the Curators Cottage and timber deck to provide external seating and connect with the Burial Area.
The main objectives of the project are to:
- Provide purpose-built facilities for the Burial Area and an upgrade of existing amenities;
- Provide a Burial Area, which is physically well integrated to the rest of the West Terrace Cemetery site;
- Provide pedestrian connections between the new Burial Area and the Curators’ Cottage, but also the site as a whole;
- Provide a space that is visually complementary to the existing site, building and ancillary structures.
The vision of this project is to satisfy the above objectives, with a good balance of integration and privacy, whilst revitalising and activating a highly visible, under utilised area on the edge of the CBD. Accommodating up to 54 full monuments and 66 lawn burials, the new internment facility will assist in extending the capacity of the cemetery into the future.
The former Curators’ Cottage, boundary wall and nearby monumentation contribute to the heritage value of the cemetery. The proposed Burial Area has been designed to complement and contribute to the historic character of the cemetery. The design of the Burial Area is inspired by ‘secret’ walled gardens and seeks to celebrate life through a connection with nature; engaging visitors and occupants of the facility with seasonal variations and the changing colours and textures in the vegetation surrounding them.
The Burial Area will be surrounded by a dry stacked stone wall at varying heights of no more than 1500mm, with infill hedges to allow a permeable view of the internal spaces. These spaces will consist of full monuments to the perimeter wall and centrally located lawn burials and water feature. The landscape will be mostly grassed with pockets of private areas for reflection and solitude.